Corporate social responsible disclosure and cost of equity capital: Evidence from the Chinese stock market
Bing Li, Xiaomin Pei 2 *
1 Business School, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (USST) 334 Jungong Road, Shanghai 200093, China; Financial Research Center, Fudan Development Institute (FDDI), Fudan University 220 Handan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
2 Business School, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (USST) 334 Jungong Road, Shanghai 200093, China.
As one of the most important emerging markets, the Chinese stock market has received more attention from the investors around the world. We focus on the effect of corporate social responsible disclosure on the cost of equity capital and the information channel that may play a mediating role between corporate social responsible disclosure and the cost of equity capital in the Chinese context. this paper conducted empirical research based on a sample of China Shanghai and Shenzhen A-share listed companies in years 2010–2018.The results showed that: (1) Corporate social responsible disclosure can reduce the cost of equity capital; (2) Corporate social responsible disclosure can decrease the price synchronization;(3) price in formativeness plays a mediating role. These effects are nearly supported by further tests concerning about environmentally sensitive or non-sensitive firms, state-owned or non-state-owned firms. Tests on the firms registered in the eastern China still show the similar results while tests on western and middle China show no significant effects of Corporate social responsible on cost of equity capital, indicating the regional difference.
Keywords: Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR); cost of equity capital; mediating effect; price synchronization.
- Holme, R., Watts, P. (2000). Corporate Social Responsibility: Making Good Business Sense. World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- Bebbington, J., Larrinaga, C., Moneva, J. M. (2008). Corporate Social Reporting and Reputation Risk Management. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 21, 337-361.
- Wang, M., Qiu, C., Kong, D. (2011). Corporate Social Responsibility, Investor Behaviors, and Stock Market Returns: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in China. Journal of Business Ethics, 101 (1), 127-141.
- Li, S., Liu, C. (2018). Quality of Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure and Cost of Equity Capital: Lessons from China. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 54(11), 2472-2494.
- Sharfman, M.P., Fernando, C.S. (2008). Environmental Risk Management and the Cost of Capital. Strategic Management Journal, 29(6), 569-592.Author 1, A.B. Title of Thesis. Level of Thesis, Degree-Granting University, Location of University, Date of Completion.
- Godfrey, P.C., Merrill, C.B., Hansen, J.M. (2009). The Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Shareholder Value: An Empirical Test of the Risk Management Hypothesis. Strategic Management Journal, 30(4), 425-445.
- Koh, P.S., Qian, C., Wang, H. (2014). Firm Litigation Risk and the Insurance Value of Corporate Social Performance. Strategic Management Journal, 35, 1464-1482.
- Dhaliwal, D. S., Li, O. Z., Tsang, A., Yang, Y. G. (2011). Voluntary Nonﬁnancial Disclosure and the Cost of Equity Capital: The Initiation of Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting. Accounting Review, 86, 59-100.
- Breuer, W., Müller, T., Rosenbach, D., Salzmann, A. (2018). Corporate Social Responsibility, Investor Protection, and Cost of Equity: A Cross-country Comparison. Journal of Banking & Finance, 96, 34-55.
- Reverte, C. (2012). The Impact of Better Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure on the Cost of Equity Capital. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 19(5), 253-272.
- Dhaliwal, D., Li, Z., Tsang, A., Yang, Y. (2014). Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure and the Cost of Equity Capital: The Roles of Stakeholder Orientation and Financial Transparency. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 33(4), 328-55.
- Xu, S., Liu, D., Huang, J. (2015). Corporate Social Responsibility, the Cost of Equity Capital and Ownership Structure: An Analysis of Chinese Listed Firms. Australian Journal of Management, 40(2), 245-276.
- Cho, S.Y., Lee, C., Pfeiffer, R.J. (2013). Corporate Social Responsibility Performance and Information Asymmetry. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 32, 71-83.
- Cui, J., Jo, H., Na, H. (2018). Does Corporate Social Responsibility Affect Information Asymmetry? Journal of Business Ethics, 148 (3), 549-572.
- Muslu, V., Mutlu, S., Radhakrishnan, S., Tsang, A. (2019). Corporate Social Responsibility Report Narratives and Analyst Forecast Accuracy. Journal of Business Ethics, 154(4), 1119-1142.
- Durnev, A., Morck, R., Yeung, B. (2004). Value-enhancing Capital Budgeting and Firm-specific Stock Return Variation. Journal of Finance, 59(1), 65-105.
- Dai, J., Lu, C., Yang, Y., Zheng, Y. (2018). Is the Social Responsibility Information Disclosed by the Companies Really Valuable?—Evidence from Chinese Stock Price Synchronicity. Sustainability, 10(10), 3578.
- Nguyen, V., Agbola, F., Choi, B. (2019). Does Corporate Social Responsibility Reduce Information Asymmetry? Empirical Evidence from Australia. Australian Journal of Management, 44(2), 188-211.
- El Ghoul, S., Guedhami, O., Kim, H., Park, K. (2018). Corporate Environmental Responsibility and the Cost of Capital: International Evidence. Journal of Business Ethics, 149(2), 335-361.
- Cox, P., Wicks, P.G. (2011). Institutional Interest in Corporate Responsibility: Portfolio Evidence and Ethical Explanation. Journal of Business Ethics, 103(1), 143-65.
- Heinkel, R., Kraus, A., Zechner, J. (2001). The Effect of Green Investment on Corporate Behavior. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 36 (4), 431-49.
- Easton, P.D. (2004). PE Ratios, PEG Ratios, and Estimating the Implied Expected Rate of Return on Equity Capital. Accounting Review, 79 (1), 73-95.
- Ohlson, J., Juettner-Nauroth, B. (2005). Expected EPS and EPS Growth as Determinants of Value. Review of Accounting Studies, 10, 349-365.
- Morck, R. K., Yeung, B., Wu, W. (2000). The Information Content of Stock Markets: Why do Emerging Markets Have Synchronous Stock Price Movements? Journal of Financial Economics, 58(1), 215-60.
- El Ghoul, S., Guedhami, O., Kwok, C., Mishra, D. (2011). Does Corporate Social Responsibility Affect the Cost of Capital? Journal of Banking & Finance, 35 (9), 2388-2406.
- Wang, Q., Wong, T.J., Xia, L. (2008). State Ownership, the Institutional Environment, and Auditor Choice: Evidence from China. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 46(1), 112-134.